Friday, March 1, 2013

Rory and Pooper

I sometimes feel guilty that Rory doesn't get the same "enrichment" Ackle enjoyed at 2.  I was bored, cheap, and desperate to get out when AC was that age which translated into weekly trips to the Discovery Center (a local children's museum), programs at the library, and more playdates than you can shake a stick at.  Now that I'm a kindergarden room mom (plus all the "volunteer" opportunities that come along with a child in private school), am teaching water aerobics at the athletic club three times per week, and am attempting to be active myself, it affords little time...ok, I'll be honest, ENERGY...for me to do much more than throw Rory in the car and drag her to the club, the grocery store, the bank, etc.  Poor Rory, she doesn't have fun activities, she goes on errands...

Her main avenue of socialization comes from the childcare room at the club.  There she has met her first real friend of her own choosing, Cooper.  However, her toddler tongue has a hard time with that, causing him to be re-christened "Pooper".  I finally met Pooper's mom and she confirmed that he is equally enthralled with Rory and we realized we were each so familiar to the other because we had been in Bible study together!

Today was their first foray into playdates away from the childcare room.  We took the kids swimming after my class and they were HILARIOUS.  Pooper is much more openly affectionate than Rory and would spontaneously hug her.  Thank God we had a hold of them or they would've drown.  At one point, they were floating on their noodles (Pooper's pink and Rory's green) while his mother and I were talking, holding hands with their foreheads pressed together giggling at one another.  It. was. adorable.

I'm so glad she is making friends (well, A friend) and it goes far to assuage that mommy-guilt.

Until then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment