Saturday, March 2, 2013

Confessions of a Serial Crafter

Just wondering...do you say "a-dress" (short "a" sound) or "uh-dress"?  Doesn't really matter...I've heard it both ways...  (HA!!  Psych-os will totally get that.  Hooray, Shawn and Gus!)

I've started a new crafty venture: Monster High clothes.  AC loves Monster High (ok, it's ME that loves Monster High, but she gives me an excuse to buy them).

I was making and selling bows for a long time, I even had a legit website and EIN and everything!  Alas, that took far more time and attention (and money) than I was willing to give to a fledgling business.  I still have massive amounts of ready-made bows and enough ribbon to stretch to the moon and back, but I'm putting the whole "small business" thing on hold until: a) I have a husband at home to help shoulder the household/childcare duties, and b) my kids are a little older, therefore making those aforementioned childcare duties a little less time consuming.

Next came the quiet book.  My mom had found a quiet book someone had made for me when I was little.  I had vague memories of playing with it while stretched across a church pew during service and thought, "I can do better than that..."  Challenge accepted, I headed to the craft store and bought my weight in canvas and felt along with a cart full of buttons, fabric markers, fasteners, trim, etc.  Now, I'm not much for "test runs" when it comes to making things, I'd rather dive right in.  That being said, it's no wonder I didn't make a pattern first.  I simply drew my plan in a notebook and then grabbed a pair of scissors and went to town.  Turned out pretty good...good enough, in fact, that I don't think I want to let my kids play with it...they might ruin it...


That wasn't my first foray into felt, I have all the completed blocks to an appliqued felted wool Christmas quilt in a bag.  I did the fun part, the applique and embellishing, now I need to find someone to piece, sandwich, and bind it for me.  Don't know when that will happen, the squares have been sitting in that bag for at least 4 years...

Until then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment