Sunday, April 1, 2012

Hello, my name is Vinegar, White Vinegar...

I LOVE vinegar.  Not kidding.  Vinegar has to be one of the most versatile substances in my kitchen.  I use it for EVERYTHING...well, almost everything.

I stopped buying cleaning products and have started going green.  Not green as in environment green, but green as in "I'm cheap".  I would go through cleaning products SO fast, most of them smelled bad, and I hated what they did to my hands.  It all started with cleaning my dishwasher.  I used white vinegar and baking soda with great results.  That same day, I cleaned both my coffee pot and microwave with vinegar.  It did such a fabulous job with no residual chemically-ness (it's a word, shut up) that I wondered what else I could do with it.  Besides, it's CHEAP.  I whipped up a batch of vinegar cleaner in a squirt bottle and went to town.  I'll never use anything else again!

After having such good results with the vinegar, I started wondering what else I was over paying for.  I've since started making my own Soft Scrub and Pledge.  I love using these cleaners instead of chemical ones for very simple reasons, not only is it cost effective, but having children with allergies, eczema, and one with asthma, it's got to be healthier for them.

Below are the cleaning solutions I use and what I use them for.  I've yet to come up with a substitute for toilet bowl cleaner or Murphy's Oil Soap, but that's only because I haven't run out of those yet!  (See?  Told ya I'm cheap!)

Vinegar Cleaner
1 part white vinegar to 3 parts water in a squirt bottle.  I use this on all hard surfaces as vinegar is a very effective disinfectant.  I go through it relatively quickly as I use it not only in the bathroom and kitchen, but as a mopping solution and glass cleaner.  I don't know about all fabrics, but on my microfiber furniture, it makes a great fabric freshener (the vinegar smell dissipates within the hour) and I also use it to scrub out any spots on the furniture.

*Another $ saving tip:  Nix the Swiffer and paper towels.  Instead of Swiffer refills, I use one of the many rags I keep with my cleaning supplies when mopping the tile, just lay it down and poke it into the holes like you would the refills.  Instead of paper towels, get a microfiber cloth from the cleaning supply section (I know they have them at Wal-Mart) that's specifically for glass.  It's about $4 and when used with the vinegar cleaner leaves a streak and residue-free clean on all your glass surfaces!  I even use this on my plasma TV with no ill effects.

"Soft Scrub"
Combine dish soap and baking soda to make a paste and, voila!  I use a lavender scented dish soap that makes for a great smelling cleaner.  It takes a little more elbow grease, but, com'on, elbow grease is FREE.

Furniture Polish
Combine 1/2 c lemon juice and 1 c olive oil in a squirt bottle.  You end up with 16 oz of the BEST furniture polish I've ever used.  I was hesitant at first, but I've never had my wood furniture come out so shiny!  Plus, I feel A-OK using as much as I want because...well...it's CHEAP!  (Do you sense a theme here??)  I juiced 5 lemons (at 10 cents each), strained the juice into the squirt bottle, and got the cheapest off-brand olive oil there was.

Please feel free to share your El-Cheapo tips!

Until Then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment