Friday, November 26, 2010

Water Damage

I've been on hiatus since arriving at my mom's house. It's not that there isn't anything to blog about or that I don't have the time, it's just that I am always finding something else to do...like water aerobics. Mom has a gym membership and attends water aerobics three times per week. I went with her on a guest pass last Friday and the following Saturday, I congratulated myself on signing up for a one month membership so that I could continue to go with her. Monday mom wasn't feeling well, so, like the diligent eager beaver I am (can you smell the sarcasm?), I went without her, but took AC so Mom and Grandma would have only one child to worry about. I had added AC to my membership, so I didn't count on having to fill out paperwork upon our arrival at the children's area. After filling out all kinds of information I had ALREADY given them when signing up (don't get me started on their cockamamie clerical system), I was 5 minutes late to my water aerobics class.

**Sidebar: I feel as though I should clear something up here. For all those naysayers who would poke fun at my group fitness choice, ponder the following:
1. If you exercise in water, you don't look like an over-ripe tomato when you're finished, you also don't FEEL like you've just been beaten with a stick like you do after a land aerobics class.
2. If you, like me, are an uncoordinated nincompoop when it comes to land aerobics classes, you may enjoy partaking in the water. The water does an excellent job of hiding your flailing limbs and there are no mirrors to broadcast your bumbling ass to the rest of the class.
3. A water aerobics class is filled with OLD PEOPLE. It doesn't matter that you have to don a swimsuit, you can feel confident in the fact that your exposed flesh doesn't look like a crumpled paper bag. It's a major confidence booster.

Where were we? Ah, yes, 5 minutes late to class I dash into the pool area to find that all the front row spots are filled. (These elderly women are vicious about their "spots".) In fact, the only spot available was in water that came up to my chin next to the middle aged fat dude who looked like he was wearing a fuzzy sweater vest. Yum. The depth combined with the fat guy sloshing water over my head with each sweep of his curiously fuzz-free arm made it not only difficult to do the exercises, but also to...well, not drown. It wasn't until late that night when I woke up in blinding pain that I realized I had hurt myself. Fo' reals, I couldn't turn my head to the left nor look down and every movement sent shock waves of pain radiating through my back, my shoulder joints, and each arm. Yes, I sustain a water aerobics induced injury. No, I am not proud of that, but YOU try floundering about in water up to your chin for an hour and see how YOU feel, mkay?

It's 4 days later and I'm STILL rubbing Mineral Ice all over my shoulders and back. It might have something to do with the fact that I took too much pain reliever and played Just Dance and Just Dance 2 with my cousin on the Wii last night for 2 hours...just maybe... In my defense, I kicked ass although I think I'll stick to board games for the remainder of the weekend.

Until then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment