Thursday, November 11, 2010

Three diamonds and a promise

I was waking up often last night to nurse Rory as I developed a blocked duct or something yesterday. Those SUCK! I had never had one before and it felt like she was sucking razor blade soup as opposed to milk... Anyway, with a trip to Mom's coming up soon, I was running through the laundry list of things I need to do before we leave, things I need to pack, things I'll need to get once we get there, and obsessing over how much more difficult the trip will be with a baby.

Of course, because it was nighttime and dark, my mind took a trip down Scary Lane. I swear, I watch too many crime dramas... I was thinking about how scary it really is out there. It seems that much more so when on the road and stopping in places that aren't familiar. Even scarier is knowing that I am the sole caretaker for two children this trip. It wasn't so bad with AC, she can walk, pee on the potty, etc. Well, I was freaking the hell out so, I started praying.

After feeding the baby and stirring myself into a maternal frenzy, I got up to get ready for the day. (I don't know how it happens, but it doesn't matter how early we get up and ready, it's alway a rushed whirlwind getting out of the house...) As I was putting on my shirt, my necklace caught on my shirt. Now, this isn't just any necklace, it's the diamond necklace my husband bought me before we were married. It's three teeny tiny diamonds set in platinum and it's one of the things I would grab if the house ever caught on fire. I looked down and, at first, thought my chain had broken. It hadn't, the clasp had come undone. It wasn't broken or open or anything...strange. As I went to re-clasp it, I broke out in a cold sweat...the pendant was NOT on the chain. In a panic, I started thinking about all the unretrievable places it could've dropped only to notice a sparkle in my bra. (There's a joke in there, but I'm in a hurry!) There it was, nestled in my bra. My sigh of relief also contained a small prayer of thanks.

Now, I'm not one to over-spiritualize things, but at that moment God spoke to me. He doesn't speak to me like crazy town voices in my head or anything. I just have thoughts pop into my head and I know it's Him. What He said was, "I know how precious this necklace is to you, how much more precious to Me are you and your daughters? I'll take care of you, just trust Me."

Awesome. I'm not going to get all kooky and look any deeper into it than that, but I just think it's pretty cool that this God I serve has enough compassion for me to assuage my silly apprehensions.

Until then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment