Saturday, May 30, 2009

Little Miss Sassy Pants

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would hear, "No talking, Momma" before my child was 2. I'm not kidding, when she doesn't want to hear what I am saying she will tell me to stop talking. Now, this has never happened when she is being harangued, only when I am chattering at her and she prefers that I stop. That being said, she has yet to get a spanking for it. I feel, however, that said spanking is immanent. Nana told me that she was "getting onto" AC the other day and AC put her fingers in her ears. Of course, my MIL laughed and couldn't bring herself to spank her. I don't know if she hasn't performed this trick at home because she KNOWS she will get punished, or if she is planning a public humiliation of her dear old mom...
She is so bossy... In addition to tell me when I can sing, talk, etc. She feels it is her right and responsibility to boss every living creature. Her 4 year-old friend, Lily, was over the other day and AC, perched on her high chair, pointed at Lily and instructed her to, "Don't do that. Stop it." I don't even remember what Lily was doing, but it was nothing that warranted a reprimand. Least of all from the 21 month-old. I have, on several occasions, had to tell AC that she is not that child's Momma and she is not to tell them "no no". And don't think just because you aren't a human that you are exempt from her demands. She is constantly telling bugs to "go away". Yesterday we were outside and the neighbor's dog was barking, she shook her little finger at the privacy fence between the houses and yelled, "No talking, puppy!" The birds were on the receiving end of her ire when she told them, "No sing!"
As wishy-washy as I feel I am at times, it's nice to know that my daughter didn't inherit that particular trait. She knows what she wants and wants it now! Granted, that aspect of her character isn't always a boon, it sometimes gets her into trouble, but it is encouraging as her mother to know that my child knows her mind and isn't easily swayed. It may foreshadow many fights in the years to come, but I can rest assured that come the tween and teenage years, the crowd will be following HER, not the other way around.

Until then,

AC's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment