Saturday, April 30, 2011

Let's eat grandma

At the risk of making error in this post that turns me into a hypocrite, I'm going to share one of my biggest pet peeves: the misuse of the apostrophe.


I have come to find that most elementary and secondary English classes have been remiss in the education of our population when it comes to spelling and grammar.  The most notable injustice has been done to the apostrophe.  Misuse of this member of the punctuation family is RAMPANT.  Granted, I can see how the layman may not be all too concerned with its appropriate use, however, you would THINK that businesses would take a little more time to proofread.


Before I submit to you the following "fails", I feel we need to clarify that apostrophes have two main purposes, to take the place of missing letters in a contraction or to indicate the possessive.


1. 
According to the company's website, the name came from the concept that the customer would "toot" their car horn and the attendant would "tote" the customer's purchase to them.  Therefore, I believe it is acceptable to assume the name is a play on the phrase "toot and tote them".  If this is the case, the apostrophe's purpose is to take the place of missing letters in the contraction making the correct punctuation for this convenience store "Toot 'n' Totum".  Unless of course they are intending "toot'n" to be a shortened "tooting".  However, that makes no sense when taking into consideration the origin of their name..."tooting tote them"...


2.  *The picture of the sign has been removed from the source, but you can find the store, "Yesterday's and Tomorrow's" site here*
From the way this sign is punctuated, it would seem that "flowers and gifts" belong to yesterday and tomorrow.  I would buy that and consider it intentional if it weren't for those three little words in the top left corner.  Yep, it's supposed to say "for all your yesterdays and tomorrows" requiring NO apostrophe...at all...for any reason.


3. *The store, "It's Banana's" has since closed thus removing the picture*
Really?  It is?  The use of the apostrophe in the "it's" is correct, a contraction for "it is".  The apostrophe in "banana's" makes it seem that whatever "it" is indicating actually belongs to "banana"...yeah, makes sense, doesn't it?


I'm going to have to cut my examples short as I can hear Rory awake and I need to dress and feed her before we head to AC's best friend's birthday party.  Before I go, I invite you to "like" the Facebook page "Let's eat Grandma!" or "Let's eat, Grandma!" Punctuation saves lives.  Educate the masses, one potential cannibal at a time.


Until Then,


AC 'n' Rory's Mom


Have you ever found illiteracy in business?  Please share...

No comments:

Post a Comment