Thursday, April 14, 2011

1500 Tubes of Toothpaste

It's been a while.  We've been fighting the sickness that seems to morph slightly as it bounces back and forth from family member to family member.  Since my husband was home, we've had ear infections, strep multiple times, impetigo, colds, sinus infection, and various unnamed viruses.  Let me say, I am SO ready for summer...

Sitting on the couch snuggling one sick child or another, I've been watching a LOT of TV.  My new favorite show?  Extreme Couponing.  If I'm totally honest, I would love to be able to do that.  I know it seems like it's ridiculous to have a stockpile of toothpaste, canned soup, cereal boxes, and body wash, but I can understand how it's a security thing for these people.  If I have even a glimpse of an empty shelf in my pantry or freezer, I feel the need to head to the grocery store and fill it.  Maybe it's the result of experiencing lay-off after lay-off.  If things are stockpiled and I'm buying shelf (or freezer) stable items when I can afford it, I'll be oh, so glad for them if or when times get lean.

Why haven't I started extreme couponing?  A few reasons.  First, I don't have anywhere to PUT all that stuff!  If I get to the point that I have that much stuff, I'm going to need the room to inventory effectively because it doesn't do me any good to have 100 cans of soup if I have to toss out half of them because I didn't use them before they expire.  Secondly, I wouldn't know where to start!  I don't know of a store that doubles coupons in town, nor am I really that good at math.  I'd end up spending more on my mistakes than I'd save, I fear.  I kinda wish my mom lived close enough to help me out.  She's no math whiz either, but I think, between the two of us, we could figure it out.

Until then, I'll have to be content with planning my menus around the store specials and available online coupons as well as making sure to take my own bags ($0.05 off for each bag at United).

Until then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

Do you use coupons?  If so, where do you look for them?  If not, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment