Monday, January 3, 2011

If you can't say something nice without applause...

As I was chopping produce to throw in the crock pot for dinner tonight, I found myself wondering where I would have been had I made different choices.  If I had decided not to go to college, for example, and to head to LA or NYC to pursue an acting career.  Where would I be?  Would I have made it big, ended up in a retail job somewhere, or still be plugging away on the small stage?  Would I have gotten married?  To whom?  I wonder if I would have met my husband, Clayton, anyway?

I suppose I start thinking that way when things take a turn for the mundane.  There really isn't much glory in scrubbing a toilet or wiping a runny nose.  It seems I am constantly picking up, cleaning up, or wiping down some mess, all with NO recognition.  Not that I need to publicly receive acknowledgements to the adulation and applause of the masses (although that would be nice), it wouldn't hurt to hear someone simply appreciate that my house is picked up, there are no dishes in the sink, dinner is made, etc.  I was GOING to say that if Clayton were home I might have that...then again, probably not.

Maybe the key to feeling as though I am appreciated is to appreciate others.  Go biblical and turn the focus from me and direct it outward.  Tell my friends what good moms they are, thank my husband for going to work and earning a paycheck, or pass along an unsolicited compliment.  Problem is, I'm always worried that people will perceive me as being insincere or as "buttering them up".  That's me turning the focus back onto myself.  Get over it, right?  Who knows, I might just make someone's day.

Until then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

Do you give compliments as freely as you'd like?  If not, what stops you?

No comments:

Post a Comment