Friday, May 27, 2011

Goo-Goo for Ga-Ga

Lady GaGa.  Her mere name inspires a mental parade of oddball costumes, bad blond wigs, and catchy dance beats.  She is lauded far and wide as a genius.  The more outrageous her antics, the louder the admiring applause.  

I have to be honest.  I don't get it.  Yep, at risk of sounding like an uneducated Philistine, I'm admitting to the world that I DON'T GET IT.  Her goofy costumes, her SciFi Channel make-up, none of it.  I'm not being a hater, I think her music is pretty catchy.  In fact, Ariel and I have been known to break it on down right next to the Campbell's Soup when "Poker Face" plays over the grocery store speakers.  I'm an artist and I just don't get her performance art.  I'm relatively open-minded when it comes to art, I even managed to see the art in an instillation piece in which the artist's primary medium was menstrual blood.  (I know, I know, but that's another post).  Menstrual Blood, I got.  A dress made of meat?  I can't, for the life of me, wrap my mind around it.  She even had a meat purse.  (That totally conjures up locker room euphemisms...)  

Where did she come from and where did the name "Lady GaGa" originate?  She's like one of those mushroom celebrities.  One day you turn around and see this woman everywhere and have NO idea who she is or where she came from.  I had a similar experience with Justin Beiber...  I at least understand his tween appeal.  I wish someone could explain her alleged genius to me...I feel so old and disconnected.

I know this post is rather disjointed.  I'm thoroughly enjoying my 1000 calorie bad choice (tortilla chips, salsa and Velveeta with a side of PB M&Ms) and The Secret Life of The American Teenager on Netflix.   Fatty food and someone else's drama.  Something to savour.

Until Then,

AC 'n' Rory's Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment